Sunday, October 19, 2008

hypocritical oath

recently we had the littlebean baptized.

this is one of the occasions in motherhood i knew for certain that we would be partaking in.
but, unlike the hippocratic oath that doctors take partaining to ethics in their field, i feel quite conflicted due to this hypocritical oath that i took promising to teach my child about jesus & the catholic church.

how ironic is it that i am the only one (of 13) in my family to date & then marry a "catholic". so this shoulda been quite simple.
however, things change, and i guess we're not near as catholic as we used to be. that's why i'm 30something having my first child.
ohmigod, i think my mom had 10 at this age!

since i don't make any official standings in what i believe or don't believe, what i do know is this: nothing!
i don't really think about it a lot b/c it's just too heavy/too much/too muddled. and i just don't feel comfortable having the bean grow up without any religion at all.

i have to start somewhere.
let the hypocrisy begin....



5 comments:

Leanne said...

I get you. We USED to be so good about church and teaching our kids all about this...then life got in the way. Bad parents, bad. bad. Brave of you to blog this though. I hope no one spams you. Sigh.

Pregnantly Plump said...

The whole religion thing seems to come so much more into focus when you have a little one.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's hypocritical at all. I think you probably always knew you wanted some sort of religious basis for your kid - I did too. I always knew I'd have her baptized, but I'm not making any promises after that.

Jennifer said...

I totally, totally! get this. We had our kids baptized (Catholic) and most of the time I feel like such a hypocrite. It's a never ending mind battle with myself and my always questioning religious beliefs.

Heather said...

I didn't have a religion growing up and I came out ok. What? Can I say that?

In fact, I'm glad I was unchurched as a child. There's a lot less baggage I have to resolve. heh